Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Christiana Cookie

This was my application to the Union Square Holiday Markets 2 years ago. I've been working on this cookie for 2 years! Wow...I can't believe it!

Christopher Street Cookies is a start up company which began in June of 2008.
I am Diana Whittles the owner, creator and wearer of many hats.
I am a very proud native New Yorker.
I grew up on Christopher Street in the West Village.
Hence the company name.
For now Christopher Street Cookies is a small one woman operation with just me, myself and I  doing all the baking and marketing and product development.
As I grow I hope to add more employees.
As a stay at home mom with two pre school boys (ages 4 ½ and 3) I found myself baking almost every day so the boys could “help” mommy with a project.
The results would go to work the following day with my husband.
The more I baked, the more I found I was energized and excited by the discovery of new recipes and the recreation and personalization of them.
In July of 2007 my oldest and closest friend was killed in a motorcycle accident.
She was one of those amazing people who lived every single day at full tilt. She always did what she wanted to do and didn’t let anything stand in her way. Life was an adventure.
Her death made me realize how short life is. It made me sit down and through my grief I asked myself what I really wanted to be doing.
The answer came to me in an instant. I wanted to bake and I wanted to sell my cookies.
When I realized my dream of going public with my cookies could become a reality I began doing my homework, pouring over cookbooks and websites looking for the best cookies I could find.
I came  up with a list of about 50 I wanted to make.
That’s when I remembered I  am  a one gal operation, a full time mommy and a wife and the days only had 24 hours in then and I only have 2 arms.
So I sat down and using the saying “Keep It Simple” as my mantra I went back over the recipes and found a small handful  that stood out.
All the cookies were good, but I didn’t just want a good cookie, I wanted an out of the world, over the top cookie.
The kind of cookie that makes your eyes roll up into the back of your head and you can’t speak till you are done eating.
After I put the boys to bed at night I’d become a sort of a mad scientist. Experimenting, swapping out ingredients and even trying different styles of the same ingredient (European butter vs. supermarket  bought butter a gourmet style milk chocolate vs. the kind in the bag)
I think after all my hard work and experimenting and tinkering and blood sweat and tears I have developed a collection of cookies I can be proud of.
At the Holiday Market we will be offering:
THE CHRISTIANA COOKIE -An everything style cookie with milk and white chocolate chunks, Walnuts, Coconut, Oats, and Raisins.
THE BERNIE COOKIE - A carrot cake style sandwich cookie with a cream cheese icing in the middle
THE MICHAEL COOKIE -A classic favorite. An ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie.
Some pictures of the Christiana Cookie & the prototype for the packaging:

No comments: