Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fundraising

If you've been following my blog you know by now that my small son has PDD-NOS.

The clinical definition is this:
PDDs refer to a broader group of neurobiological conditions, known as autistic spectrum disorders, that are characterized by delayed development of communication and social skills.

Perhaps the most noticeable feature of a PDD is a problem with communication, including using and understanding language. Children with these disorders can also have trouble relating to others.

They may also exhibit unusual play with toys and other objects, including flicking or shaking toys in nontraditional manners, repetitively spinning toys or parts of toys, and lining up toys instead of playing with them.

Children with a PDD tend to lack curiosity about their environments and have difficulty with changes in routines.

Brian the Lion is textbook for this diagnosis and this definition.

Back when he was first diagnosed I was bound and determined to get all the information and all the tools available for me to battle this disorder and help my small son come out on top.

Unfortunately there is no cure for Autism or Autism Spectrum disorders but there are amazing people that can help parents like me wade through the muck and the mire, help to sort out the feelings and gather strength and power through knowledge and support. I've found all these and much more through Autism Speaks. They have been wonderful from day one and one woman in particular. Her name is Jena Greco and she's the regional director for NY and NJ.
She's amazing and I know I can ask her ANYTHING at ANY time and she will have an answer for me. If she doesn't have it, she will find it for me.

It's because of her and of the other folks at Autism Speaks that I do lots of poking my friends and acquaintances for fund raising,
I only bug folks in the spring and summer when I'm starting to raise funds for Team Brian The Lion and the Walk Now for Autism walk event they hold in NYC.

This year I've stepped up my fund raising and I'm holding Vicious & Virtuous and I've signed up to join the TD Bank 5 boro bike tour as a part of TeamUp! with Autism Speaks.

My fund raising and promotion for my event have gotten a little more agressive I'll admit.

I know one needs a thick skin to fund raise. Lots of folks don't want to be bothered, they don't have the time or the money or a million other reasons.

I understand. I've got my fair share of friends that solicit me for donations to other causes and I don't always want to donate either.

The only folks that get under my skin. REALLY get under my skin are the ones that I know are swimming in cash. I have a few friends and some acquaintances that life has been very kind to and it gets me when they ignore my requests for donations.

A donation to them is a drop in the bucket. It's nothing and yet they still can't see their way clear to ponying up a few bucks.
It bugs me further still when single moms scratching to make ends meet, parents who live paycheck to paycheck can find the money to make a small donation.

Is that bad? Does it make me wrong to judge a person on whether or not they donate to my pet charity? Is it wrong that their lack of involvement will forever leave a bad aura around them for me?

I don't want to be petty but I can't help it!
What do you think?

No comments: