Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lap Band Surgery

On Wednesday my darling husband is going into the hospital for a life changing event called Lap Band Surgery.


The very capable doctor will slice into my poor husband with a laser and slip this simple looking tube around his stomach and create an access port on his side.
They will then inflate the tube with with saline and tighten or loosen the band as needed. He will have to have it adjusted a few times a year. Apparently this adjustment is something that is done int he doctors office. They insert a needle into the port and either remove or add saline as needed.

It is his goal to lose 150 pounds in one years time.

He is currently 6'3" and weighs 350 pounds. I have all the faith in the world that this surgery will be successful and will help him finally win the battle he's fought his whole life.

I'm excited and can't WAIT to see the weight loss and to track it in photos and blogs.
He has no idea I'm going to be doing this but I AM. He told me last night he doesn't want to blog about it or share it with anyone but I know that in a year from now he's going to wish he had. So I'll do it for him.

But back to the surgery...he goes in on Wednesday and then he will be home, home as in off of work, as in sitting next to me on the couch in our very teeny tiny apartment where there is no room to escape from each other unless you count the bathroom for four to six weeks.

Let me type that out again. I'm going to have a man, a large cranky, frustrated, angry, HUNGRY man home with me for 4 to 6 weeks.

Did I tell you his diet goes from shoving over 2,000 calories a day into his mouth down to about 700 a day? Did I mention that his first day home the menu he gave me shows for breakfast he can have a tablespoon. ONE TABLESPOON of cream of wheat?

My fridge and my cabinets are stocked to the brim with sugar free jello and pudding. My freezer overflowith with sugar free ice pops.

I have to wonder how this is all going to affect the kids and I. We won't be eating family dinners together again till August and even then PT can't ever eat a full meal again. Half a hard boiled egg will leave him feeling like he ate a 7 course meal.

I'm not a massive food person to start with but I DO have to eat. To eat in front of him seems mean and like a school yard taunt.

What I think I will be doing is making my lunch my dinner or having a very early dinner with the kids before he gets home from work. That way he doesn't have to see us eating things he can't.

Since he was the one that did all the cooking for us, that's going to have to change and quick. I'm going to have to learn some basic meals to keep us fed.

I'm stuck though on this 4 to 6 weeks of him being home. I know I'm just going to have to roll on and do my own thing like he's not here but I LOVE my alone time. I love the peace and quiet of being here by myself while the kids are in school. I love being able to crank up the music and I love being able to take naps if I want to.

Thank God it's getting warmer outside. This week is supposed to be in the 40's. I'll get my bike and be able to go for longer rides and HE can scoot over and pick up the kids from school!

I'll keep you updated as we go on but starting tomorrow he goes on a liquid diet.

1 comment:

dusty earth mother said...

This is so intense. I'm praying for your soon-to-be-skinny hubby!