Thursday, September 15, 2011

A continuation of yesterday

Apparently thanks to me Brian is having a duplicate day of yesterday.

He is pissed for the second day that we didn't go to the playground in the morning. For the second day in a row, I had NO idea he wanted to go till it was too late to go. For the second day in a row he turned into evil child.

He's totally fine getting ready for school, fine on the walk to school, even fine the first few moments waiting for his teacher.
We were horsing around, laughing, playing with each other and he told me he was going to have a good day and we talked about what we were going to do after school and then something in him clicked and he got angry.

It was the quickest mood change I've ever seen. He went from happy and playful to grumpy and mean.
School was stupid, his fellow classmates were dumb. He hated it there and wanted to go home.
I reminded him of his after school rewards if he was good and he told me he didn't care about them.
(It was during this exchange with him where I reminded him about going to get whatever snack he wanted and going to whatever park he wanted that I felt a little like the parents of Pierre from the Maurice Sedak story "Really Rosie")
I tried every trick in my book to lighten his mood but to no avail. (and it was at this point that I wished for a Lion to come and eat my little boy)
 He was going to remain angry and not only was he going to be angry, he was going to take it out on his fellow students.

It was time to lineup with his class and rather than just get in line he walked over and he punched two of his classmates.
I asked his teacher if she wanted me to bring him home and she told me no that we should see how he does in the classroom. I told her to please email or call me and let me know how it was going.

I'm actually skipping Boot Camp today and I canceled plans with my father so I could be home by the phone waiting for it to ring.

To add to the stress of my morning while we were waiting for the teacher (and I was busy trying to convince Brian that he wanted to have a good day) I was next to a set of parents who's daughter decided right then at that moment to tell them that yesterday one of her classmates hit her.

The mother flipped out and started to rant on and on about their being a bully in the classroom and how it was completely unacceptable and she wasn't going to allow it and blah blah blah.
The second the teacher came out she was on top of her demanding details and accountability.

I of course knew exactly who hit her daughter and I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide for a thousand years.
Thankfully their teacher kept her composure, didn't rat on my Lion and told the mother she would handle it immediately.

I left school with a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat. I actually wondered aloud why on earth I had bred and who in their infinite wisdom thought it was wise to give me children.

It's 11am and so far, no phone calls.

Tomorrow is Friday. Tomorrow morning, we will leave our apartment earlier than usual and we will go to the school playground before school.  I am hoping this is the magical elixir that soothes my savage Lion and paves the way for a happy day at school.

If it does not prove to be the cure all and he is still angry at the start of school tomorrow, I'm going to call the school and set up a meeting with his case manager and the school psychologist.

It's 11:20 and so far, no phone calls...

I just got an email from his teacher:

"Hi Diana,
Brian had difficulty this morning during morning routine and Language Arts. He was telling me and other students we are "stupid" and "shut-up." He also tried kicking a student while we were on the carpet. He refused to do any activities and said school is "lame." 
Ms. Gina, the Occupational Therapist, took him today bc/ he has OT Thursdays and Fridays. When Brian came back from Ms. Gina, he was in a better mood and did some work. Brian told me was will try to turn his day around. There is a communication in Brian's homework folder from Ms. PraSisto. This is Brian's case manager.

We'll talk more afterschool about how the rest of Brian's day went."


Not great but I'm glad he was able to turn himself around and has agreed to try to do the best he can do today.

No comments: